Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Searching for Clams



On Mosquito Creek

As our group headed out in search of clams, none of us were quite sure what we were looking for. Captain Jimmy, the expert, had to stay back at the boat to ensure we were not going to be stranded out in the marsh; he gave us a few instructions, though I don’t think anybody could completely understand his thick accent. We knew we had to look for tiny holes in the mud, but that not all the holes meant clams. After about an hour we spotted lightning and were able to walk back to the boat, the same length, in maybe five minutes. I wondered how many clams we were missing on our hurried way back. Then I thought to myself: I don’t think I have walked that slow or noticed as much in that short amount of space.
            As I slowly made my way across the mud I could feel my socked feet squish and sink into the soft ground. Frustratingly seeking out the clams and their signs, I searched for holes. It seemed as though I could find anything but the clam I searched for. I found a cute little long claw hermit crab, several types of worms, and a specimen that was related to the jellyfish, one that could not sting, even if it had been alive. Finally, I came upon a hole that looked different than the others. This one was surrounded by black debris, like a miniature composite volcano. I stuck my toes inside, squishing around in the soft black, oxygen deprived, mud. With my toes, I dug a few inches down and struck a hard surface, a clam! I found one! I rejoiced as I pried it out of nesting spot. After staring at the mud for so long I agree with Curtis J. Badger when he states in Salt Tide that “Clamming is a good exercise in observing life on a mud flat, because it encourages you to slow down, bend over, and pay attention” (10).  Badger is correct: if it weren’t for the incentive to find clams, I do not think I would have noticed half of the life forms I did while strolling along in the mud. What is also enjoyable about clamming is that while you certainly use your eyes, your other senses, especially touch, are imperative. When a person is clamming it is required that they are aware of their feet. They need to think about where they are stepping and what they are stepping on. This process is not typical in everyday life because people generally disregard all that their feet walk over unless it makes them to trip, or causes pain.
            Clamming teaches people the importance of slowing down and noticing. People should take the lesson clamming has to teach and learn to slow down and notice the little things on an everyday basis not simply when on the hunt. Who knows what marvelous things people could find if they simply take the time to slow down and look.

By Megan Kelsall

No comments:

Post a Comment